« | »

How to Apply to a University and get an I 20 Form Issued

Last modified about 2 years ago by . Posted in School News |

How to Apply to a University and get an I 20 Form Issued.

If you are searching for “How to Apply to a University and get an I 20 Form Issued” this page is all you need. Explore.

How to Apply to a University and get an I 20 Form Issued

Happy you got enrolled into a school in the United States? Well you should  but before you get all excited  and arrange your luggage to travel, don’t forget that there  are few requirement you need to meet  and one of such is  with I 20 Form.  I hope you know you won’t be able to travel without this form because getting a visa in the Embassy won’t be possible without the I 20 Form. So basically I will be showing you everything you need to know about this form and how to go about it.

Every F and M students that study in the United States must have a Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status.” Once it has been accepted into a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified school, international students will get a Form I-20 from their chosen school official (DSO)

You must also get a Form I-20 for any qualified dependents you plan to bring to the United States with you. However, please take note that the name (i.e., Academic and Language students vs. Vocational Students) on the Form I-20an SEVP-certified school matter you will dictate the type of student visa you may get from the U.S. Department of State and the status you will need to preserve in the United States. You and your DSO must both sign the Form I-20. If you are under age 18, your parents must sign the Form I-20 for you.

Form I-20 Uses

The Form I-20 is a significant document that you should keep safe, as you will need it all through the international student life cycle.

Paying the I-901 SEVISFee

Before you pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee, you must obtain the Form I-20 from a DSO at the school you plan to attend. You will need info from the Form I-20 to pay the fee. The I-901 SEVIS Fee is compulsory and must be paid before you enter the United States.

Applying for a Non-immigrant Visa

The Form I-20 lists your program start date, 30 days before which you are permitted to enter the United States. F-1 and M-1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days in advance of your course of study begin date. Your type of student visa must match the type of Form I-20 you have (e.g., F-1 or M-1). You are required o have the original Form I-20 at your visa interview. The consular officer may accept a copy of the Form I-20 in limited circumstances that warrant visa issuance prior to you receiving the original Form I-20.

Entering the United States

You are required o have the original Form I-20 with ink signature on hand as you enter the country. Do not pack it away in your suitcase. A U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer will educate you to present your Form I-20 at the port of entry. You may attain up to 30 days before the start date listed on your Form I-20; or

Changing status to F or M while in the United States

You need a Form I-20 if you are already in the United States as another type of nonimmigrant and you are applying to USCIS to change your status to F or M.

Applying for Benefits

Your Form I-20 shows that you are legally registered in a program of study in the United States. Consequently, it may be needed when you apply for the benefits available to F and M students. If you are eligible to apply for a driver’s license or a social security number, remember to bring your Form I-20 with you.

When to Get a New Form I-20

After getting the early Form I-20 upon program acceptance, students may obtain a new Form I-20 from their DSO in the following circumstances:

  • If the physical copy of the form is devastated or misplaced.
  • For travel endorsement.
  • When the student’s SEVIS status changes (e.g., from Initial to Active).
  • For any substantive change to student information, such as changes to a student’s personal information, program of study, optional practical training, etc.

Redesigned Form I-20

As of July 1, 2016, the redesigned Form I-20 is needed for all F and M non-immigrant visa applications, entry into the United States, travel and applications for non-immigrant aids. The earlier version of the Form I-20 (with a barcode) is now unacceptable. Students please note that your DSOs were in charge for providing an updated, hard copy of the Form I-20 with original signatures to all F-1 and M-1 students at their schools.

NG Team.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Plse, Don't just read and leave, Pls drop a comment below!

0 Responses

Leave a Reply



« | »

© 2015 Naijagreen